Monday 12 December 2011

Candy Wrapper Advent Calendar # 11

candy wrapper advent candleYesterday got away from me, so number 11 is a day late! Just a simple little candle for this one, made from the Modern Label punch. I cut an end off, and stamped it with an image from the Tags 'Til Christmas set. Then sponged around the edges with crumb cake ink, and shaped it very slightly with the long edge of my bone folder on my pricking mat. It's stuck onto the box with a couple of dimensionals just down the centre, so that the edges can curve backwards still.

The flame is made from two bird wings from the Bird Builder punch. I trimmed down the orange wing with my scissors, stuck it onto the yellow wing, and then used the fine end of my black marker to draw in a wick. I then used Versamark, Heat'n'Stick and Dazzling Diamonds to glitter the flame. Finally I mounted it onto the box with a dimensional.

Here is the promised tutorial on how to make the little elf from the last post - day 10. I made a mistake when I posted the dimensions of some of the circles, so have corrected them in the day 10 post, as well as putting the correct measurements here:


christmas elf punch artPunch a 1 1/4" and 3/8" circles from Pink Pirhouette, also two part bird wings as shown in the photo. Sponge all the edges with Blushing Bride ink. Punch two 1/4" circles from Whisper White, and two 1/8" circles from Basic Black.



bird builder punch elfStick the parts of the face together as shown, and draw a mouth using the fine end of a Real Red marker.



blossom petal builder punchPunch the largest petal shape out of Wild Wasabi DSP. Punch a segment of a 1 3/4" circle from Real Red card, and stick it on to the petal as shown in the photo.



blossom petal builder punchUse the 1 3/4" circle punch and punch away the bottom portion of the hat assembly as shown in the photo. I attached a post-it note to use as a handle. I stuck the post-it note on with the point marking the middle top of the lower edge of the hat brim - that way I could see where to punch.




elf punch art christmasLay the hat in position on the head, so that the lower edge of the hat brim meets the point where the top edge of the ears join the head - as marked with the arrows above.



christmas punch art adventCarefully pick up both pieces, holding them in position together. Draw a line on the hat brim above the ears. Remove the hat and cut along this line. Turning both pieces to the front again, check that the shape of the hat brim over the ears is as you want - on my elf here, I did a little bit extra trimming to shorten the outer tips of the hat brim, and to make it look more like it's going over and behind his ears. When you are satisfied stick the hat onto the elf's head.




christmas elf punch artAdd a 3/8" circle of Real Red to the point of the hat. For this elf, I have also stuck another circle of red on the back so that the tip of the hat is sandwiched between the two circles. This is because the hat sticks up above the edge of the advent calendar box, and it makes it a bit more sturdy for handling. If I was going to stick it flat on a card I wouldn't bother with the second circle.

Finally punch out a 1 3/8" circle of Wild Wasabi, attach a post-it note handle and insert the shape into the Scalloped Oval punch, and punch to create the scalloped shoulder piece. Stick behind his chin.

post signature

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...